WAKA (World Adult Kickball Association) is an adult social sports club (for players who are over the age of 21). WAKA leagues bring back the nostalgia of elementary school recess fun combined with the excitement of college intramurals with a splash of Happy Hours at the bar. While there is a healthy competitive spirit, there is no pressure and players of all levels of experience are welcome. The number one goal is to HAVE FUN! WAKA runs leagues all year round including kickball, bowling, dodgeball, bar games, and sand volleyball. Their focus is on "creating an atmosphere conducive for having fun and meeting new friends." A typical game night includes an hour of games followed by a social at our league bar, and who doesn't need to run around and get energy out after a stressful day at work or with kids, and then unwind with friends afterwards. Pretty rewarding stuff.
Cindy Honickman Carris is Durham's WAKA owner, and a SoDu Parents Posse member. She says, "as a local business owner and also a new mom, I know that it can sometimes be challenging to meet new friends. That’s why I’m hoping we can form some Sodu Parents Posse teams!"
That prospect of a way we could both do a sport together is so exciting to me, who never played sports, and my husband, a lifelong athlete! Plus I'd get to hang out with some of my favorite people, SoDu members!
To find out what WAKA is about you can come check out one of their Happy Hours or events below. Or better yet our upcoming weekend meetup just for Sodu Parents. The date is TBA so stay tuned! Once you see WAKA in person, you will want to join our first ever SoDu league!
Get the most recent info about events and more at the Durham WAKA Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KickballDurhamChapelHill
“Everybody I know is busy all the time with work and everyday stuff. Kickball gives us an excuse to get together each week, lace up the cleats, and have some fun.”
- Tim D.
“I originally got involved because I heard about it from a friend who was starting a team. I fell in love with it. I’ve never done anything else that’s so fun and attracts so many amazing people.”
- Come join them for Tuesday Night Bar Games in Durham starting on April 26th - 8 weeks of fun games like cornhole, bocce, shuffleboard, darts, trivia, etc at various bars around Durham; Team size is 6-8 players, perfect for you and your best friends. And more than just drinks at the bar or another movie. http://www.kickball.com/ncrecess
- Monday Night Sand Volleyball in Chapel Hill starting on May 2nd - 7 weeks of outdoor volleyball at Umstead Park; team size is 6-10 players. Don't you wanna use those court skills from college again? http://www.kickball.com/ncchapelhillvolleyball
- Monday Night Sand Volleyball starting on June 27
- Sunday Night Bowling starting in mid July
- Tuesday Night Multi-Sport starting in mid July
(email email@example.com for details on how to register)
And the SoDu team info: Thursday Night Kickball in Durham starting on June 9th - 8 weeks of kickball games at NCCU’s turf field; team size is 16-20 players. Sounds FUN! http://www.kickball.com/ncheat
How about just dropping in for a FREE Pick-Up Game?
- April 25 - Sand Volleyball at Umstead Park in Chapel Hill from 6:30-7:30 pm
- May 8- Kickball at Southern Boundaries Park in Durham from 11 am-12 pm
(All promo codes must be redeemed at least 7 days before the season starts.)
You can also give Cindy a call at 919-492-1898,
check out the Durham website at www.kickball.com/durham
or learn more about kickball, rules, and the origin of WAKA at KICKBALL.COM
Best Parties. Best Games. Best Friends. WAKA!